return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Cage with vent fan

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cage & Habitat Design ]

Posted by: Upscale at Fri Jan 9 05:53:17 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Upscale ]  

Here’s some pictures of my latest cage build, still under construction. It is seven feet long, two deep and two tall. I will be installing a rolling glass by pass door using a track from Outwater Plastics. The brown paint is garage floor epoxy, which is very scrubbable and a good wood sealer if you use about three coats. The white is Kiltz, which I use for everything. The blue is some nice shiney interior stuff. Still a lot of finishing to do…

I’m going to use this enclosed light fixture and a compact fluorescent bulb. There are two shelves along the entire back wall, which gives more usable crawl space within the cage. A unique feature is that the lower shelf is actually a vent for air to enter the cage from a slot in the back of the cage.

This shows the lower shelf with a light from the back of the cage so you can see the ventilation holes.

From the back, the half inch slot is the vent where air will be drawn in.

Up close through the slot you can see the vent holes illuminated from inside.

The air will be drawn in through the slot because the top vent has a bathroom exhaust fan built into it. Hopefully fresh air comes into the cage along the bottom shelf and vents at the top. I like having this huge exchange of air. Seems to keep down smells, fungus and all that. My humidity is always fairly swamp-like where I live, so this works for me in two other cages I’ve built like this. I use aluminum soffet vent material and nail gun it into place with strips of wood all around the edges.

Thanks for looking.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  sterilite 32 qt tubs - richie_rich, Sat Jan 10 15:54:43 2009
<< Previous topic:  Questions on Incubator Construction - Omnivorous, Fri Jan 9 04:53:08 2009