return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

DIY rolling glass track

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cage & Habitat Design ]

Posted by: Upscale at Thu Jan 15 23:23:51 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Upscale ]  

Just to follow up- I decided to make my own rolling glass track instead of ordering a twelve foot track assembly and cutting it. I actually used two six foot tracks and made the joint right in the center where the two glass doors overlap. I needed four tracks to do upper and lower. They were eleven dollars each for six foot long. I got all upper (the deeper).
I got an idea to make my own rollers looking at a stop sleeve. I figured I could buy a bag of 100 of these copper sleeves for $9.95 and turn them into rollers.

Here’s a sample of how I put these together.

I used a template to make holes in the track exactly the same depth, every two inches (the door is 82 inches) so all the rollers are the same depth. By using the deeper upper track for the bottom, I had room to mount the rollers and still have enough lip for the glass to be in the track.

I did drill the track under each roller to shave off the hump.

Here’s the finished track installed.

Here’s the cage after putting in the stick on tile floor (.39 cents each) the decorative shelf trim, some aquarium backing photo paper, center support, etc. looks sorta complete.

I still have to get the glass cut, but I made a template with quarter inch plexi to get the measurement exact. If this works, and so far it rolls great, it is much cheaper than the track assemblies I have seen, especially when you factor the shipping if I had to order a twelve foot track. Might be a chore to keep clean, but we’ll see…

Hope it inspires others

I’ll follow up when the glass is in!

Enjoy.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  sterilite 32 qt tubs - richie_rich, Sat Jan 10 15:54:43 2009
<< Previous topic:  Questions on Incubator Construction - Omnivorous, Fri Jan 9 04:53:08 2009