return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: suggestions appreciated

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cage & Habitat Design ]

Posted by: Chris_Harper2 at Fri Jan 16 10:32:05 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chris_Harper2 ]  

Anyways I was wondering if anyone here has much experience with fiberglass resin or other resins?

I've applied a fair amount of polyester resin, which is what I assume you're referring to when you say "fiberglass resin". Fiberglass is glass strand, mat, cloth, or roving that forms a matrix when embedded in a polyester, vinylester or epoxy resin.

I don't care for working with they various poly or vinyl ester resins but the final result can be durable and cheap if you plan carefully.

I have also used marine and bartop epoxy resins as well as epoxy paints to seal wooden cages.

I've been trying to brainstorm for a cost effective caging solution and have been thinking about a 1/4" plywood shell coated with several layers of hardened resins.

Even with the cheapest fiberglass cloth or mat several layers will get expensive and end up weighing a lot. It would be more productive at that point to build the cage from plastic, IMHO, and possibly even cheaper.

To save costs you would be better off building structure into the shell with a thicker plywood, therby requiring less resin and possibly even eliminating the need for any sort of fiberglass reinforcement.

Also perhaps using radius type trim (for corners of drywall) for the corners to ease in cleaning and upkeep...

The drywall trim may work. I have formed a fillet with Bondo in the past and it works well.

If anyone has experience with resin and tints/dyes,I was wondering how white,white tinted resin will cure;if it will be a cloudy white or of good appearance.I could probably contact manufacturers for that but if anyone knows it would be appreciated.

I think the for a true white color a polyester gel coat is better than a tint. But like you said, contact the manufacturer.
-----
Currently keeping:

6.10 Gonyosoma oxycephalum (Javan, mixed colors)

0.0.4 Rhynchophis boulengeri

1.1 Philodryas baroni

1.1 Lampropeltis triangulum multistriata

0.0.1 Rhamphiophis rubropunctatus

0.0.2 Morelia viridis (Aru & Merauke locale types)

1.0 Rhodesian Ridgeback

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: suggestions appreciated - burmguy09, Fri Jan 16 11:58:32 2009

<< Previous Message:  suggestions appreciated - burmguy09, Fri Jan 16 05:07:15 2009