return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: suggestions appreciated

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cage & Habitat Design ]

Posted by: Chris_Harper2 at Fri Jan 16 12:20:48 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chris_Harper2 ]  

I did mean (polyester) automotive body filler when I said Bondo. To be even more specific, I would use just a standard filler or lightweight filler. Avoid the glass-strand filler, sometimes sold as waterproof filler, as it is harder to form before cured and harder to sand once cured.

Back to resins. Polyester resin is much more brittle than epoxy resin so you either need sufficient fiberglass (cloth, mat, roving, etc.) to avoid cracking or you need to be applying it to an already stable surface.

Of the two choices, the stable surface by way of thicker plywood will be much cheaper, much easier and also provide a better insulated cage with greater thermal mass.

However, the 1/4" plywood shell with multiple fiberglass layers may offer you some advantages I have not considered.

But if you do go down that road I would consider instead using plywood to make a form that the fiberglass shell could be pulled from once cured. Quite simply the amount of resin plus cloth you would need to overcome the flexibility of the plywood would be strong enough on its own.

The original Neodesha cages (before Neodesha bought the design and went to formed ABS) were built this way.

If you really want to go the 1/4" plywood route you might look at epoxy resin simply because it is so much stronger and flexible. It could very well end up being cheaper than the multiple layers of polyester resin plus fiberglass you'll need to make for the relative lack of strength and flexibility.

Wooden kayak and canoe builders use epoxy for this reason, among others -- it ends up being cheaper in the long run over the thin plywood substrates they use.

-----
Currently keeping:

6.10 Gonyosoma oxycephalum (Javan, mixed colors)

0.0.4 Rhynchophis boulengeri

1.1 Philodryas baroni

1.1 Lampropeltis triangulum multistriata

0.0.1 Rhamphiophis rubropunctatus

0.0.2 Morelia viridis (Aru & Merauke locale types)

1.0 Rhodesian Ridgeback

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Do they make 30x18 Screen tops? - platinumtlc, Fri Jan 16 23:19:15 2009
<< Previous topic:  another room heating thought... - Squidlyjoe, Thu Jan 15 15:52:33 2009