return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Nov 10, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Nov 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Nov 17, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Nov 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Nov 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Nov 23, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Nov 23, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Get a drink and sit down, long read....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rainbow Boas ]

Posted by: rainbowsrus at Thu Oct 29 16:52:42 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rainbowsrus ]  

Any and all comments/questions appreciated.....

When the Wendy x Rosco litter was born I noticed the babies were in kind of two groups, mostly normal and a few that were a lighter tone. Odd since none of the lineage of the parents is known to be het for anything. Now they have all shed and as I would have thought, the two tone is more obvious... hmmmm

Here's a couple of pics of babies 10 and 11 together for comparison..

And for kicks I added in a un-shed hypo baby from my Minnie x Diablo litter...

Sure makes me think there is something going on. I did look back at each breeders lineage and did find one possibility.....

Wendy is from my 2005 Savannah x Porky litter. Both parents are animals I acquired and Savannah is likely totally unrelated to anything else in my collection.

Rosco is from my 2005 Bullseye x Lefty litter. Lefty was an acquisition and Bullseye was a holdback from my 2001 Petunia x (Lefty and/or Porky, were bred as a group)

Bullseye was bred to Lefty twice but never to Porky, nothing unusual came out.

I'm pretty sure Porky and Petunia are siblings but not certain. They were never bred together by me but their current owner just produced a litter of all normal looking babies.

Clover, Bullseyes litter-mate has been bred to both Porky and Lefty - nothing unusual.

So, in the lineage there is only one possible link (for a recessive type trait) that I can find. There is a possibility that Porky is in the lineage on both sides. Known to be grandfather on one side and possibly great grandfather on the other.

Crawling through all my records, there are only a few instances of Porky offspring being bred to Porky or his offspring and this one is the only one to have something different pop out. Again, totally within probability if it is a recessive thing in which Porky was a het, only half of his offspring would have gotten that gene and only when two of those got together would any homozygous babies be produced.

Hmmmmm, does have me wondering what is going on. Have decided to hold onto the litter for another shed or two.

Pics of all the offspring......

WE-RO-0901

WE-RO-0902

WE-RO-0903

WE-RO-0904

WE-RO-0905

WE-RO-0906

WE-RO-0907

WE-RO-0908

WE-RO-0909

WE-RO-0910

WE-RO-0911

-----
Thanks,

Dave Colling

www.rainbows-r-us-reptiles.com

0.1 Wife (WC and still very fiesty)
0.2 kids (CBB, a big part of our selective breeding program)

LOL, to many snakes to list, last count (05/26/2009):
36.51 BRB
29.42 BCI
And those are only the breeders

lots.lots.lots feeder mice and rats

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  And taking it one step further......... - rainbowsrus, Thu Oct 29 17:43:57 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Get a drink and sit down, long read.... - TimS, Thu Oct 29 18:04:43 2009