return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Tegu . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Nov 10, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Nov 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Humidity care sheet......

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rainbow Boas ]

Posted by: rainbowsrus at Fri Dec 18 23:32:03 2009   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rainbowsrus ]  

Why not......

Rainbow humidity 101

Since this topic comes up from time to time, I’ve created a document with all my answers. Not steadfast rules and/or guidelines, just what works for me.

Being from tropical rain forests, Rainbow Boas require high humidity. There are three basic factors to humidity:

Evaporation - is the process of water molecules becoming airborne.

Dissipation - The natural tendency of airborne water particles is to spread out as far apart as possible.

Condensation - warm moist air contacting a cooler surface will cause the water molecules to condense into droplets on the cool surface.

The number one mistake made with rainbow boas is to give them lots of ventilation. They really do not require much oxygen. They’ve even been reported to submerge under water for up to 30 minutes at a time. That ventilation will allow all those precious airborne water molecules to dissipate into your house. Unless your house is humid, many more will leave than enter. This will result in the enclosure drying out.

Many keepers use misting regimens to keep humidity levels up. IMO, you need to set up the environment so it will automatically be humid. Here are the steps I take to provide that environment.

1) LIMIT VENTILATION - my cages at around 6 cubic feet only have one two inch round vent each. More than enough for air exchange.

2) Provide LARGE surface area water bowls. Remember, the larger the surface area, the more water will evaporate.

3) I provide damp hide boxes. A sweater box size for adults with holes in the sides. An inch of peat moss and another inch of green moss. All kept damp

4) Depending on your enclosure you can fine tune your system by moving the water bowl around. Closer to the warm end and more evaporation, closer to the cool end and less.

My cages:

A moss box:

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps.

-----
Thanks,

Dave Colling

www.rainbows-r-us-reptiles.com

0.1 Wife (WC and still very fiesty)
0.2 kids (CBB, a big part of our selective breeding program)

LOL, to many snakes to list, last count (05/26/2009):
36.51 BRB
29.42 BCI
And those are only the breeders

lots.lots.lots feeder mice and rats

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Humidity care sheet...... - amazondoc, Sat Dec 19 00:36:11 2009

<< Previous Message:  Actually looking for the baby caresheet. - Jeff Clark, Fri Dec 18 22:45:45 2009