return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: More breeding questions....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Jeremy Stone at Tue Feb 22 00:47:29 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jeremy Stone ]  

Bill, I know you are am experienced Breeder, and these Questions are awesome because even though you have experience with many of the questions that you asked, you are just looking for others opinions. I hope others would chime in on this. I know there are many breeders better then me that could also answer this, but I'll give you my takes. I am happy to discuss this stuff.

Question 1: I have noticed that OLDER more mature males will often Court for a long period of time, and then he wants out of the cage. I really believe that he senses that he has DONE HIS job, and he has deposited sperm in that female numerous times. I know this for a Fact happens with My Adult original Motley Male. He knows that he has done the job, and he wants to move on to the next. This can be frustrating because you would like the female to ovulate shortly after because this may increases the chance of a successful clutch. I know a female can carry that sperm for a few months and still ovulate. I have found something that may work. If you have a female that is “Stuck” in that process of not going further after being bred and bred, you can put her with a female that has ovulated or is moving along quickly, and that can stimulate her into ovulating. You really need to practice Strict husbandry practices when you do this, and make sure you take notes so you can isolate any future problems. I have noticed that Younger males will stick to the task longer then a larger more experienced male. Even the Experienced males can stick with that female until she ovulates too, so why would some leave? I can’t say for sure, but I do believe that the male has sensed that he has done everything he can to get that female gravid, and he wants no more of the same Female. That PIG!!!! How could he be such a player? LOL

Question 2: I have had great success with 1 male to two females. I find that these results are really variable depending on the size of the follicles of the female, and the length of time put into the process. I have gone to a system where I will designate 2 Females to 1 male, and NO MORE unless they are in a breeding group where they have access to more females. (I RARELY do groups, and most of my breeding is 1 to 1) Groups can be helpful though. Just keep good records.

Question 3: I have found that the Body Temps of females is Variable from one to the next. Most GRAVID females sit at 87 to 88 degrees, and that is the BEST temps for them. To maintain them at that temperature, you can have a room that is Ambient or a Hot spot that is constant. A female will let you know where she wants to be. If your hot spot is too hot, then the female sits on the other side. I think the IDEAL way to keep pregnant females is in a separate room that has Ambient Temps from 89 to 90. Albino Females seem to always be a couple degrees cooler then Normals, and I feel this is the reason many of them give a lot of slugs or premature litters. They don’t realize they can’t conserve the heat as easy as a pigmented female, and therefore sits cooler. I can’t explain this one, but I try to keep albinos hotter then Normals. (THAT IS A GOOD BREEDER SECRET REVEALED)

Question 4: I quite often see males court at night and not in the day. I can’t explain this either. You also have some males that breed 24/7. I have no clue why some only breed in the Night. I have a Sharp Strain Albino Male now that will ONLY court at night. Interesting: I would love to be in the mind of a Boa for just 1 Day!!!!!!!

Question 5: I have noticed that females that are Jam Backed can sometimes lie on their side. I know that I have RARELY seen a female that is giving slugs lay on the side, so I think that is a GOOD thing to see those females on the side. I also think they are trying to thermo regulate when they are doing this. It is either that, or they are just SICK of being pregnant, and that is comfortable. Lol

Question 6: I personally don’t think that a female will ovulate with ONE ovary and not the other. I think they either do both or NONE at all, but this is just my opinion. Following the Ultrasound I have never seen a Gravid female with the other Ovary producing smaller eggs for the previous year. I don’t know if I quite got this question right or answered it to what you are looking for.

Bill, Thanks again for these questions: I hope others share their findings as I am sure it varies among a few breeders. I have posted a TON lately and I’m starting to feel like I am acting like a KNOW IT ALL!!!!! I better lay low. (Actually I had the day off, so I could play a lot more). I certainly don’t think I know it all. I feel I have a good understanding of what is happening but if you haven’t been humbled by Boas, Stick around from year to year. I get STUMPED MANY TIMES!!!!! Best of luck in your breeding!!! I love the Forum, and I think others share a lot of great ideas!!!!!

Jeremy

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Question For Jeremy Stone - Albinoboa7, Tue Feb 22 04:12:14 2005

<< Previous Message:  More breeding questions.... - kirby, Mon Feb 21 19:02:32 2005