return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: breeding boas... a few mre questions... anxious to get started!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Randall_Turner at Mon Mar 28 12:14:24 2005   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Randall_Turner ]  

okay for the most part im good to go... for now. but im planning on getting my breeding pairs asap so i need to know what temp to keep them at for now (i have a while till breeding time). so would 80-84 degrees be good to keep the temp at year round (if not cycling)?

I keep my ambients at approximately 85 degrees.

and what is "too small" or "too big" of a cage for breeding?

I have a few females in 4x2x1 enclosures and 1 female in a 6x2x2, base it more on what the female will be comfortable in rather then what size to breed them in (mine usually stay right on top of one another most of the time when paired so an enlarged enclosure for breeding imo is not required)

and i still never found when to put the male in with the female. do you suggest changing temp? alot of people seem to not change temp ever. are they saying they just dont cycle or do they keep it the same day and night and all year round?

You can pair them up at different times based on when you feel comfortable doing so. Many people breed earlier in the season while many others later, and then some others breed year round depending on age and maturity of their animals. You will need to figure this one out yourself.
I change the ambient temps for my boas to 80-82 degrees for breeding attempts. When ever temps would rise above 85 ambient the male would quit breeding so I have not tried leaving temps at there normal level.

and when should i stop feeding the male and female? i have herd alot of different responses what do you all do? and last of all when should i start feeding my female extra to fatten her up? is 2 months before good enough? thanks for answering everything for me!

The Boa Constrictor Manual will give you suggestions on how to prepare them feeding cycle wise for breeding.
For the female you do not want to "fatten" her up, a fat snake is less likely to produce as healthy a litter as a thinner muscular one. (not too thin of course, just not the super fat 40+ pounders you see that look like miniature burms rather then boas)

Good luck.
-----
Randall L Turner Jr.
www.aircapitalconstrictors.com

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: breeding boas... a few mre questions... anxious to get started! - snakeman12345, Mon Mar 28 16:53:33 2005

<< Previous Message:  breeding boas... a few mre questions... anxious to get started! - snakeman12345, Mon Mar 28 12:04:14 2005