return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Size and Shells...DUW

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sulcata & Spurred Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PtDnsr at Sat Apr 28 12:14:02 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PtDnsr ]  

Ok...so we've had Shelly since Daytona 2005 and Tails since Daytona 2006. They were both just around a month old when we bought them. I've attached pictures. Right now they're living together in a cage that's getting too small for them (well...ok, just Shelly) until we move into a house instead of our apartment. At the moment Shelly is wandering around the main portion of our apartment so she can get some exercise. She's actually very good about not trying to eat things and usually doesn't even try to taste the carpet anymore when I put her down. She can still hide under the couch and get out herself but can't fit under the fridge (which is good). They're fed a diet of greens every 2-3 days and have a constant supply of grasses in their cage. Sometimes I'll treat with a small piece of fruit or pumpkin when we had some left from Halloween. The newest thing is giving them the dandelions that my dad pulls up from his backyard (pesticide and fertilizer free of course). I'm not too worried about Tails's shell yet - it's still uniformly smooth but Shelly's has me worried slightly. She's a pretty big girl and while it's not pyramided badly and it's actually gotten better (we cut back on greens) I'd like to know if there's anything else we can do to promote good shell growth. Thanks for your input!

~Katie

And now for the pics...
Shelly a few days after we brought her home in August 2005...

Shelly in the fall of 2006

Shelly eating a pumpkin piece in October 2006

Shelly in February 2007

Tails in the Fall 2006 (through glass)

Tails eating greens in February 2007

-----
too many Corns
1.3 Columbian Red Tail Boa (Abu, Jasmine, Princess, and Baby)
1.0 Burmese Python (Merlin)
2.3 Western Hognose (Stumpy, Sir Hiss, Lizi, Nozi, and ?)
0.2.3 Leopard Geckos (Cutie, Lily, and 3 babies)
0.1 Pac Man Frogs (Gordito)
0.2 Sulcatta Tortoise (Shelly and Tails)
2.4 Ball Pythons (Fluffy, Fred, ?, Betty, Aurora, and Zoey)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Size and Shells...DUW - PHRatz, Sat Apr 28 12:39:39 2007