return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: watering sulcatas

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sulcata & Spurred Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: preptiles at Fri May 18 02:14:19 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by preptiles ]  

hello
russ gurley has a good book out on the husbandry of sulcatas
or www.chelonia.org
i offer cuttlebone to all my tortoises in their enclosures this is a great source of calcium i break the pieces up and spread them around the enclosures
they are grazers
seed mixes can be ordered from turtlecafe.com
my adults graze on a half acre and i supplement with carrots ,mazuri,tortoise chow,dark leafy weeds and greens, opuntia cactus, and a wide variety of hays
i feed them on top of a fresh hay pile and kind of mix it together
when i see their eyes running i let the hose run in the enclosure or turn the sprinklers on
my biggest male likes to sit right next to the sprinkler like a dog and drink
if these tortoises are not allowed a natural burrow they can become dehydrated
so you have to make sure water is available by sprinklers , a running hose or what ever you can get them to go for is the bottom line
with a good complete diet these tortoises are very hardy
remeber in the wild the get almost all the water intake from plant matter but they maintain this by sleeping in burrows
we often forget this when we set them up in igloo huts or wood shelters with heat bulbs
so you have to offer them water in my opinion to balance this out
by either offering them a micro climate or by giving them access to water
hope this was a little bit of help
thanks
jeff
planet reptiles

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  watering sulcatas - jfd, Thu May 17 21:07:03 2007