return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Mazuri-raised 5-yr-old sulcata pic

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sulcata & Spurred Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: preptiles at Tue Jun 26 04:14:34 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by preptiles ]  

hello
the mazuri tortoise diet is awesome
i feed it to all my tortoises
it has vit. d3 in it already
i have been using this product for 5 years and have had great results
raised scutes seem to be in my experience due to lack of humidity or not efficient heat
babies live in burrows or holes for up to 2 years as babies
borrows contain higher humidity levels and usually maintain a steady temp range
richard fife's book on leopard tortoises covers this topic in detail
i have raised babies exactly the same and have had one have raised scutes and one had a smooth shell
only difference was where they hung out in the pen
the smooth one was always under the opuntia cactus in the root system where it was moist usually from watering
the other who had the raised scutes was always out and moving
never hung out in the higher humidity areas of the pen always in the hay piles or corners of the pen
all dry areas
i have heard people in florida also have the raised scute problems too
so that kinda messes the idea up
i would like to see how they are cared for though
if they are indoors in an ac room on rabbit pellets they are basically taking all the humidity out of the tortoises habitat and hence the problems is related to humidity
but if they are raised outdoors and this still happens in florida and other high humidity situations
maybe it is really a diet and heat or humidity issue
it could be several factors making this happen and i have long since quit acting like i know for sure what causes this
nobody knows for sure 100% yet
more real research is needed to be conclusive
mildly raised scutes seem to not effect them at all
it might effect breeding in extreme cases or not make it not possible
i let my tortoises graze as part of their diet and it seems to work well
i add greens and hay mixed with mazuri ,carrots,bell peppers,and squash in the mix among others
opuntia pads , hibiscus,and fruitless mulberry leaves are cherrished also.
i stand behind mazuri as a good product and know of alot of other breeders who share this opinion
hope this helps.
HAPPY HERPING
JEFF
PLANET REPTILES

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Mazuri-raised 5-yr-old sulcata pic - mythreetorts, Fri Jun 22 15:50:24 2007