return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Yet another trip out to the Pearl...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Society Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: daniel1983 at Sun May 4 22:26:20 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by daniel1983 ]  

I went out to PRWMA this morning around 10 a.m. to squeeze a quick trip into a beautiful day. I got a call around 10:45 a.m. from my wife saying it was time to head out to the New Orleans Jazz Festival, so it ended up being a really short trip.

However, it seems that I have good luck with short trips

Since a few guys asked when I would be getting pictures of a Ringed Map Turtle, I have been snapping pictures of every water turtle I see...ha ha. Today was a little better than usual; however, most usually hit the water at the sight of a person. I stopped at several of the bridge crossings on the main management area road to see if I could spot anything in any of the Pearl River's tributary canals.

First shot is of some sort of turtle.....unidentified, but probably a slider. Notice the large gar fish in the water too. Then there was a gator at another bridge crossing. This one was a bit larger than the one last week at about 6' or so.

At the last bridge stop, I spotted something in the grass on the edge of the road while walking BACK to my truck. It always amazes me how easily a person can walk right past a snake without even noticing it. I spotted the tail of this one first....and had to follow the tail up to the head. Nice camo job. It was great seeing a black racer.

Right after my wife called for me to head back to the house, I spotted this little one on the side of the road. I thought it was a juvi. box turtle from my truck, but quickly realized it was a Mississippi Mud turtle when I got up close. Great little turtle.

All in all a pretty good little trip.
-----
-Daniel Hill
www.southernherper.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]