return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

New G. flavigularis - thoughts and tips?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Plated Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jmorris at Fri Nov 7 21:11:54 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jmorris ]  

OK, so I'm a 7thg grade science teacher, and last weekend I went to the California Science Teacher Association's conference. While there, Ward's educational scientific supply had a raffle, and my name was drawn to pick one thing from their booth. I wandered up to their booth, and stared glassy-eyed at all the pricey and amazing technological curriculum-oriented tools like microscope cameras, and digital balances, human anatomy models, and such, but then my eye caught something simultaneously horrible and exciting - an 18" lizard with beautiful red sides and yellow stripe running down its back. The horifying part was that it was being kept in a 10 gallon tank with a hot rock, damp potting soil, and incandescent lighting. Needless to say, I rushed to the poor thing's rescue. I won't go in to how irresponsible I think it is that this educational science supply place is giving away difficult-to-keep wild-caught reptiles.

So, anyway, I now have my beardie's (R.I.P. Levila) old 2'x 2'x 4' cage set up in my classroom with about 3" of sterile natural potting soil, a bunch of securely stacked flat rock providing tons of caves for burrowing under, and a huge piece of grape vine leaning across the length of the cage up to a basking area. The basking area is about 10" under a 100 watt ZooMed Powersun UV Heat bulb, and gets to about 92 degrees F by mid day. ambient temps in the tank are from about 85 on the basking side to 80 on the non-basking side during the day, and I imagine it is a good deal cooler under the caves on the cooler side. There is also a 4' shop light with cool white 40watt fluorescent bulbs in it for extra lighting. I have a 6" wide 1' deep water dish in there as well that I have been keeping clean and full.

So far, I have offered dusted crickets, honeydew melon, bell pepper, and apple, but over this whole week he has eaten only three crickets. I plan on offering meal worms or small super worms, or some phoenix and/or wax worms, and maybe a small pinky next week, as well as some fruit babyfood. I have seen two small poops with white urates so far.

I will not be back into my room until Monday, but I hope the weekend of peace and quiet, and what I hope is a proper environment will help the little guy (actually, i have no idea of the sex) acclimate and be more willing to eat. Let's hope he is still alive and well when I return to my room Monday morning.

Any tips for making this home better for him, and how to make him feel most comfortable in my classroom (I know, I know, they are shy lizards - I hope he can get used to the commotion in the classroom)? Food and dusting suggestions (I have Minerall-0, Herptivite and RepCal w/ D3 still from keeping my beardie and uroplatus geckos)

I will get picks ASAP next week.

Thanks,
Jared (aka - Mr. Morris)

p.s. - Below is a picture of Levila, my 1/2 German Giant female beardie who died this summer at the ripe old age of 10. She is pictured in the aforementioned cage.

-----
With great power, comes great responsibility.
-Ben Parker

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]