return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Gravid or Not???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Green Tree Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bluediamondjason at Sun Dec 7 03:43:29 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bluediamondjason ]  

First of all let me say thanks to all of you who gave me suggestions on incubating GTP eggs! The good news is I have a very good incubator all ready to go! 95% humidity 88 degrees!

However I am worried that my GTP may not be gravid. I bought her and her partner, a proven breeding pair, I started breeding her fri-sun at the first of Sept for 5 weeks. I saw them lock tails almost every night! The female started feeding ravenously like the book said she would and she swelled up for a day or so like the book said she would. She progressively got bigger and pretty chunky looking. She continued to feed every week on a small rat and was more than eager to get the rat, she would actually fly up out of the top of the cage and snatch the rat before I could even get it to her and she never used to do that. She passed urates once. Her humidity is 85% (fogger in tank) Her temps have stayed at 83-84 with a basking spot on one end of 92-93.

The prev owner told me and sent me photos of her mating, laying eggs in terra cotta pot and of the eggs hatching. I have a terra cotta pot set up the same way for her now. She just shed about 12 days ago and during her shed cycle she looked so plump her belly was obviously large. Then this morning she had her first bowel movement since Sept. It was a bit bigger than her usual but not much so.

I know her last clutch was 16 eggs. She has always been full bodied and still now seems a bit hefty her mid to rear but not nearly as plump as other pictures I have saw of gravid GTP's. She moves from her high perch to low perch quite often. I thought that she would beging laying after the bowel movement but she hasn't went in the terra cotta pot. Now that she has had the bowel movement, her mid section is not as huge as it looked for the last month. I know that snakes get puffy near their vent when about to defecate and after it is smaller.

Any thoughts anyone? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Take care
Jason

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  GTP watery feces - skid, Sun Dec 7 20:04:50 2008
<< Previous topic:  albino chondro - brick1, Mon Dec 1 11:52:47 2008