return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: The value of forums

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: AaronBayer at Wed Apr 30 15:43:14 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by AaronBayer ]  

My case is that baby snakes may percieve us as something that is a million times bigger than them that might want to eat them. I know if godzilla picked me up i'd be terrified beyond belief and on the verge of a heart-attack. now, if he picked me up 30 times and never hurt me i would eventually adjust and accept that he was just checking me out, but the first 30 times would be a nightmare.

So i wonder, why put a snake though a (possible) nightmare as a tiny baby, when just being around the snake for a while is usually enough for it to gain trust and be fine with handling? Once it learns to trust you on it's own terms, then start playing with it and looking at it for your enjoyment.

snakes didnt evolve to be pals with humans... doesnt mean they cant enjoy the interaction, just that I dont see how forcing them to be comfortable with human interaction at an accelerated rate is more benificial than any other method. I've seen snakes with different "personalities" and different sets of boundries and dont feel that all should be expected to behave the same way. some really do appear to like being held and will crawl out of their cage and into my hands, while others mearly tolerate handling and get noticeably wound up when being held even though they are treated the same as the snake thats fine with anything.

Please dont take offense, I worry that you already have. I'm simply trying to learn and understand something new to me.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: The value of forums - FR, Thu May 1 09:35:51 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: The value of forums - FR, Wed Apr 30 13:37:25 2014