return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: tank heating problem

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: willstill at Thu May 1 09:11:20 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by willstill ]  

Hi,

Both uths and lights can be made to work. With the uth, what I recommend is plugging it into a dimmer (plug in, no wiring - Home Depot - $12.00) if it does not come with the ability to adjust the temp. Also, you may want to raise the tank an inch or so on blocks to allow air to flow beneath the tank and prevent a dangerous build up of heat. What Rainer said about burning your house down is no joke. Twice, in the distant past, I've had uth elements that were sandwiched directly between the cage and a wood surface start to burn. In the one instance, an antique, family heirloom dresser was ruined when the uth overheated and scarred the wood black and cracked the surface from the heat, the glass tank bottom also shattered. The second time, the plastic sweater box housing the snake melted and the plywood top of a home-made baby rack was charred black. In both instances, smoke detectors went off and the house had to be aired out. I was extremely lucky, many others have lost entire collections and homes.

Using lights requires you to limit the airflow within the cage by covering the majority of the screen. Otherwise the heat from the beam will rise and suck out all of the humid air. As I said, both can be made to work with a little modification. Good luck.

Will

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Bone White's and White Cheeks history? - richh, Thu May 1 06:45:18 2014
<< Previous topic:  Speckled Kings - ssshane, Wed Apr 30 12:08:23 2014