return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Jelly Brooks

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Bluerosy at Sat Aug 2 22:41:40 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Bluerosy ]  

Several years ago after I acquired the first Peanut Butter group from the original breeder I came to this forum and asked what to call this new hypo-ish morph.

Now at the time I knew it was a hypo but the first hypo already came along 3 years earlier and I figured since that name was already taken that my fellow forumites would be able to pick a name a little bit more interesting. Several names were suggested . A vote was cast and and the majority went to the name "Peanut butter". The Peanut Butter name won out by a overwhelming majority. So Peanut Butter would be the name of this new morpsh which I was trying to popularize.

So, I never picked the name myself and I thought it was a bit cheesy and kooky. But, better than "coffee" or "hypo type II" and some of the other suggestions which were not as direct as the Peanut Butter name.

Anyway, today I am glad they did choose this name "Peanut Butter" and I sold these as Peanut butter because little did I know later on how different this trait would be.

When I did the first breeding of the Peanut butter to a T negative albino (the T negative albino was also new to herpetoculture back then) I thought I would get double hets normals.

I assumed when I bred the Peanut butter to the T -negative I would get normal looking Floridas that were double hets and would have to raise those up in the next 2-3 years to breed to each other to hit that special 1 in 16 chance of getting a double homo.

What happened instead was a complete surprise and puzzle. An intermediate form popped out of the eggs in this first generation ....because it came from the Peanut butter and I knew that there was nothing in kingsnake genetics (or any genetics anywhere I knew of at that time) that could do this. I quickly and aptly named these prodjeny " Jelly" . It was perfect because no other trait in kingsnakes does what these two and especially what the Jelly does when bred to another Jelly or back to a Peanut Butter or back to a T negative.

The rest is history. Basically these traits is what caused an interest and resurgence in the Florida king group and made them more popular than ever before.

ever since then a lot of folks have had a hard time twisting their minds on how these three traits actually work and that they all can breed each other and make variants. Many a breeder has had the possibility of creating new morphs yet not breeding the snakes in their collection to each other because they still did did not know how these traits work together.

It gets especially complicated (or rather hard to understand) when combined with more recessive traits like Hypo and axanthic or Anery and lavender ect.

Anyway, long story short.. here is a Jelly

Jelly

-----
FR quote:
"Doing the same things over and over expecting to learn something else, is the definition of insanity"

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Jelly Brooks - reako45, Mon Aug 11 06:56:46 2014