return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: RE theres an easy answer and not just

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: FR at Tue Apr 13 00:36:33 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

The benefit of a wide range of temps is, all species can find what they want.

I say this often, I do not know of any snake, or any reptile what is only exposed to one temps, or a narrow temp range. All species live in areas that have much more heat then needed and more cold then needed.

Which means, they life is to fine the temps they need and use them. All species use different temps for different tasks.

So a range of say 65 to 100 will offer whats needed to all species.

Now don't get me wrong, that is not needed everyday of the year. Most reptiles breed in the spring, or wet season, for one reason, both cool and heat is available. In hot areas, reptiles often breed in the winter. Once summer takes over, then all they do if feed. They have too or they will burn up to much energy. So once the breeding season is over, then higher temps are used to recharge their batteries.

Where you come from, either do not add heat, or use an air conditioner to set a base temp in your room or area.

Once I was working in New Orleans rebuilding the zoo and I had to install an air conditioner on the closet door. It worked. That was back in 1979 and I produced pyros, and several several species mexican kings, as well as lots of getula. Cheers

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: RE theres an easy answer and not just - kctrader, Mon Apr 12 19:02:07 2010