return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: All White Kingsnake?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: khorvidius at Tue Apr 13 21:32:43 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by khorvidius ]  

Thanks to both of you for your input.

I am new to kingsnake morphs, and morphs in general -- my background is in rescuing larged abused, abandoned and neglected constrictors, rehabilitating and rehoming them. I am rather taken with the kings that I have seen and am trying to make sense of all the various terms, morphs, and breeder/herp lingo -- which is pretty confusing to come into. There doesn't seem to be a lexicon anywhere that gives a simple explanation for people who aren't as interested in pursuing the genetics route with their snakes -- which is why I'm looking for some support in figuring this out. It's pretty clear that you guys know a tremendous amount about the snakes, and I'd just like to get some of that highly specialized knowledge translated into more lay-person terms.

What I said in my email, which I don't have the exact text from, is more or less the same thing that I said here. Being "new" to this, and only having various quality photographs from websites that usually lack descriptions other than a morph name to go on, I can only communicate what is "ideal" for me, based on what I know. Which, when it comes to the available morphs/colors, isn't as much as I would like. So, "ideally", I am looking for a white kingsnake with no markings, or very minimal marking, or other colors -- or one that will grow close to this. My perfect choice would be a crisp white (like acrylic "titanium white" from an artist's palette) but a bone-white, egg-shell white, etc would be fine.

I've seen pictures on breeders websites of various snakes that are (or appear) all-white, but usually these pictures lack descriptions, and most of them are of young snakes rather than full-grown adults.

A contact I spoke to earlier today highly advised an "albino banana phase california king", which means very little to me. Another said "blizzard is the way to go". You are right in assuming that I am not looking to throw $10k on my first kingsnake, but the "$50-300" range is comfortable. So I guess, to simplify this down, here is what I am hoping for some help with:

- What are some of the king morphs that fall into the "generally white" category? How do they differ from one another in coloration, pattern, and price? (e.g. "A blizzard cal king is born looking rather pinkish, but develops into a bone-white as they age into adulthood", or something. I don't know if that is true...)
- Where is a good place to find them? Recommended breeders/suppliers of particular species would be great.

Thanks in advance -- I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I know I've come to the expert folks and am asking intro questions, but I can't seem to find them anywhere else. (Intro people don't seem to know about the more hard to come by morphs.)

I'm just trying to establish a baseline set of terms to work with -- ideally with an understanding of what they mean and look like. Thanks guys

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: All White Kingsnake? - DMong, Wed Apr 14 00:25:54 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: All White Kingsnake? - shannon brown, Wed Apr 14 23:04:19 2010 image in post

<< Previous Message:  RE: All White Kingsnake? - Jlassiter, Tue Apr 13 20:54:27 2010