return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Kingsnake Decorations/Set-up

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: rbichler at Fri Apr 16 22:01:24 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rbichler ]  

>>I'll look into gravel options and see what there is locally -- if you find out what the specific #/size you were thinking of is, that'd be great too.

Alot of people have spoke of bad view points on sand in the past, I don't know if its experience or hear-say.
Myself, I've had great success with these setups for the past 16-17 years and have never had a problem with this type of sand.
Do use fake plants, the live ones won't last a day.

Here are my view points on sand; I’ve been housing, snakes for about sixteen years now on sand. I have tried different kinds of sand. The play sand has too many fines in it, could be harmful if the snake ingested to much at once. Be careful when feeding that the mice aren't damp where the sand will stick to the rodent. another problem with fine sand is the fines absorb up to much moisture, so a 1” feces spot will turn into a 3” spot, big coarse sands,(gravel)don't absorb anything, In my tanks, I use a cleaned (dust free) Monterey #2/12 grade kiln dried sand about 1-2 inches deep,(its a smooth beach sand more or less). It’s kind of hard to find, I buy it at industrial supply stores, or sand and gravel supply. It’s used for sandblasting, it’s about 10-20 dollars for 90 lb. Bag. (I've also seen it in pet shops, $10.00 for a 10 lb bag. lol); Retains heat well, doesn't dry out reptiles skin like wood shavings might. I think it’s easy to clean, all I use, is a plastic spoon and paper plates, just scoop it up on to a plate and try to pick up most of moisture. I also use sand in my racks, but only about a 1/2 inch deep where I use a wet-wipes after spoon cleaning the box, put the plate in plastic recycled grocery bags, tie a knot, and drop it into the trash can, EASY. I clean my tanks completely, about twice a year, remove all sand , and clean the tanks with bleach and water. I recycle my dirty sand, by putting it into a bucket and letting it soak in bleach and water for a few days. Then I stir it up with a stick. Push a hose to the bottom of the bucket until water runs clear on the overflow. I then pour it into sandbags and let It dry out till the following year. A lot of people have talked against sand on the forums, and I just wanted to view some of my thoughts. I have never had a problem with any of my snakes getting sick or dying yet. Just be careful when feeding
(sand cont.)
that they don't digest a bunch of ANY substrate. Some of the general care and maintenance books view sand as, (quote; a attractive, natural-looking and easily changeable ground medium.) They only talk about certain types of wood shavings (Quote: cedar, redwood and some snake keepers have suggested pine shaving are potentially harmful to snakes) Maybe I'm missing something here but I believe most snakes live on and in dirt and sandy soils. Bad Sheds; I work construction, and the Three worst things to dry out my hands are, working in dirt, wet concrete, and believe it or not, handling lumber like 2by4s for a day or two. The sand that I use has no fines in it, and doesn't dry out the snakes skin. I very seldom have snakes with a bad shed. I've also had emails from snake owners of snakes with problems that went away once they switched them from aspen to sand or other non-wood product - a grayband with runny nose and 2 different rosies that were reguarging. The owner truly thought these individuals were sensitive to the aspen (or the conditions it created) because of their rapid turnaround once removed from the material. Another owner emailed me; I have to say I totally agree with you about the sand. As well, I have had several problems with my kings on aspen or pine bedding. Especially if it has broken down into little bits - it seems to give my snakes allergies. I have now had three kings that, while on the aspen, with cage temps ranging from 70 - 81 degrees, get alot of mucus in their throat and noses. When I have switched them off of that to the turf, two days later they are fine. Anyway I just wanted to view a few good points about sand.

-----
R.Bichlers Colubrids
http://www.webspawner.com/users/rbichler/index.html

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Sugar ants in cage - varanid, Sun Apr 18 02:35:41 2010
<< Previous topic:  The waiting is the hardest part! - a153fish, Thu Apr 15 21:25:19 2010