return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Kingsnake Decorations/Set-up

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: varanid at Sun Apr 18 02:43:55 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by varanid ]  

Some time ago I set up a naturalistic viv for a californa king and it worked pretty well. It was a 55 gallon tank. Substrate was a mix of sand and soils to a depth of about 8", with several different succulents (jade, aloe, snake's tongue) planted at different point. There was about 1" of fine gravel overlaid with window screening for drainage under the soil. I use some rocks as hides.

The substrate turned out to hold burrows much to the king's delight If I ever keep monitors again, I may use something similar for them.

Things I learned:
Give the plants time to get established BEFORE moving the kingsnake into the cage.
Get decent sized plants. Kings will climb in them (mine frequently climbed in the jade). Small plants will just get crushed.
Research the plants. Some of them tolerate different conditions better than others, even if they're both hardy in the same zones.
Don't expect to see your king very often...but it's pretty cool when you do.
It's a lot of work to set up.
They make great centerpieces for a room.
They provide *lots* more choices for the animal than racks.

I'm debating doing it with a florida king. I don't know what sort of plants I'd use though. When my turtles get moved to the pond I'm putting in I'd like to set up the large tank they're in as a naturalistic viv. I may do something else though, like a ratsnake or something. It's a huge tank, like 100 gallons?
-----
We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion people if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
6.6 African House snakes
3.2 reticulated pythons
.1 corn snake
4.2 Florida Kings
1.2 speckled kings
1.2 ball pythons
0.0.1 Argentine boa

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Sugar ants in cage - varanid, Sun Apr 18 02:35:41 2010
<< Previous topic:  The waiting is the hardest part! - a153fish, Thu Apr 15 21:25:19 2010