return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Basilisk . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Good Times!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: KevinM at Tue Apr 27 22:11:51 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by KevinM ]  

I remember when I was a REAL young kid around six or seven years old, the neighbor kid across the street in New Orleans had a real cool dad who was apparently a herper too. This kid had everything cool at the time, from hamsters to turtles to snakes, and even a baby caimen LOL!! You gotta remember that this was around 1968/69 and most parents viewed those types of "pets" as vermin or dangerous LOL!! He had a vicious baby texas or grey rat he was keeping and often said he wished his dad had found him a "red rat" instead LOL!!

My first pet snake was a three foot speckled king I got from a local petshop back in about 1974 when I was about 12. I think I paid seven bucks for it. I kept it in an old 10 gallon tank I used for tropical fish, with the old sheet metal tops sold for the tanks. Basically just a sheet of thin metal with holes drilled in it. Not a very tight fitting device and required bricks or books stacked on top of it to keep closed LOL!! Needless to say the speck escaped a few times and I found it once in my baby RES bowl on time, then with a huge lump in its stomach coiled up in the middle of my pet mouse cage with the mouse MIA!! I played with the snake every day. I used to use grass clippings as substrate. Good times, good times!!

Keep the nostalgia rolling. I wish I had pics of my previous pets to share!!

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  quick brooks question - majinchip, Tue Apr 27 15:48:58 2010
<< Previous topic:  Speckled Kingsnake - Kitt, Mon Apr 26 22:20:02 2010