return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Basilisk . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Old Indigo photo

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: DMong at Wed Apr 28 12:10:27 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

Yeah, they have always been at the very bottom of my list of "cool" animals.

I have handled(and killed) countless hundreds as a kid, and no big deal. The only thing you have to consider is the milky white poison coming from their neck gland. They have to be molested pretty roughly for them to exude the white poison though. I did always make a point to rinse off my hands in a hose though. Not to mention the fact that toads like to pee all over your hand too quite often when held..LOL!

I didn't really go much for killing animals, as I realized basically all animals have a place in the planets eco system, but I have to admit, that in south Florida as a kid, I killed countless hundreds of the non-indigenous vermon!!. I'll tell you what was scary to see, and that was how they are attracted to dog food in a bowl outside on a warm summer night. That is a perfect recipe for a dead dog there, as the dogs will want to play with the hopping toad like a toy......ARRGHH!!

~Doug
-----
"a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing"

my website -serpentinespecialties.webs.com

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Old Indigo photo - varanid, Wed Apr 28 12:27:59 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Old Indigo photo - PHFaust, Wed Apr 28 10:23:53 2010