return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Solution

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: a153fish at Thu Jun 17 18:50:45 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by a153fish ]  

"While I agree that a snake, likely any snake, does learn where and when it can find food (that is after all what they do in the wild), I doubt that the separate container practice conditions them in any way."

I don't think that it's so much that you are conditioning the snake by putting it in a separate container as much as you are "NOT" conditioning it to think food when the cage is open. It's more of a non conditioning, or lack of bad conditioning. Does this make sense? I also have a technique that I have used for years, and I believe it works but it's just a gut feeling that seems to be backed up by results. I use this with wild caught yellow rats which are naturally nervous. I hold the snakes head in my fingers without putting a lot of pressure. You just want to keep the snakes head between your fingers and rub with your thumb. The snake will try to pull away because they feel vulnerable having their head held. But if you persist to keep holding and rubing their head they calm down drastically. Now having said that, this is more for nervous snakes than hungry snakes. There are exceptions to every rule and some snakes are just voracious eaters and have a very strong feeding response. It is easier to control them if you have them from very young, cause once they get old you are trying to undo behavior which is always harder. Sorry if I rambled on...But I do think feeding in sparate containers (I use paper bags), reduces the chance of being mistaken for food, if it's been done since a baby.
-----
King Snakes! Who can make a better mouse trap?
J Sierra

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Solution - markg, Thu Jun 17 18:25:18 2010