return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Garter Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

That has been my experience too Mark..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: BobS at Thu Jun 17 22:44:15 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BobS ]  

I had VERY large Leucistic Rats for many years and fed them in seperate containers for the feeding response thing and the substrate ingestion thing etc.. It was the school of thought thing back then. I agree that it doesn't work. At least for me it hasn't. Snakes can be conditioned I believe but when you pick them up I find they are as likely to think it's feeding time when removed from the cage becausee they get excited about going to the box. I have no real answers, I'm working on it too. Part of it is reading their reactions. some do recognize handling and snap out of it. Others don't. Bad thing about Kings is it's a gamble sometimes. Sometimes I have some out for extended periods of time fine and a switch clicks and they are eating fingers and hands.No smell of other snakes,prey or anything. Out of the blue.

What I'm doing now is trying to feed them 5 or 6 mice wait a day to let their stomachs settle and then gently handle them with out the tiger response . For some it seems to be working, others still go for me or their own bodies and I feed generously and frequently. "Knuckleheads is how I feel about them too. Sometimes it may be a certain time in their lives?

One of the reasons I like Black Milks is they have a TREMENDOUS feeding response but I have NEVER EVER had one chew on me like a common King out of the blue or even reaching for them. As long as they see it's not food they turn OFF. I love it!

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: That has been my experience too Mark.. - nekhebet, Fri Jun 18 10:34:11 2010

<< Previous Message:  Solution - markg, Thu Jun 17 13:42:28 2010