return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Brumating snakes

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: JKruse at Wed Jun 23 10:09:01 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JKruse ]  

Good morning.....

artificial brumation isnt always the easiest task to accomplish for some depending on living arangements or general weather where one lives. Cessation of feeding is paramount prior to the cooling process, and allow the animals to "empty" their gut before doing so. A gradual temp drop is best over a several week period and then, depending on the snakes in question (assuming we're talking about non-boid/python species) a mean temp of about 55F utilized. Non-fluctuation of temperature during an artificial brumation is important (although a slight differential of a couple degrees /- isnt necessatrily harmful). An 8 - 12 week cooling is optimal, although some species may require a slightly longer stint in the cool.

Brumation preparation can be done in so many ways. From cooling a room with an air conditioner for some that live in hotter areas, to cracking a window open during the winter months (for some that are in colder areas), to a whole variety of manner to adequately provide a cooling period can be done. As for wine coolers, which I've adapted over the last year, my recommendation would be a Vinotemp. Although slightly more expensive, it's worth it. (I'm a big believer in the old adage "you get what you pay for".) Some folks have modified refrigerators, etc, but for someone who doesnt trust their electrical handywork, such as myself, I went with the more expensive means to maintain stability in holding cool temps for a several month stretch. My advice is to also be careful what model is obtained, as some wine coolers have a "dual temp zone" whereby the inside top of the wine cooler is a higher temperature and a lower temp in the inside bottom. There is also the option of endeavoring to find a second-hand wine cooler either via the internet or a local liquor store that may be throwing one away. Some have gotten nice finds that way at a fraction of the cost (of course there's always the concern of a used model that is worn and potential wear 'n' tear issues may arise leading to repair costs).

Hope this helps a bit....
-----
Jerry Kruse
www.zonatas.com

And God said, "Let there be zonata subspecies for all to ponder..."

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Brumating snakes - jjenkins, Wed Jun 23 09:03:01 2010