return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Brumating snakes

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: FR at Wed Jun 23 22:23:23 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

I have no idea what they write what they do. Consider, 9/10s of the worlds snake species live where there is no to little winter. By far the majority of species occur between the tropic a cancer and the tropic of capricorn.

Including many many of the kingsnake species that people think they brumate.

Personally, I produced many of the morphs on this forum and did so without hibernation.

As I mentioned, if you supply a range of temps, the snakes will do the rest.

I also do field work with snakes, some individuals feed all winter, some only feed for two months a year. They feed when they need to. Many of the snakes we work with, crawl around at temps from the low 40's on up. So temps of 55F are middle of the road, its not brumating.

You have folks on this forum that do both, like, Bluerosy, his snakes feed all year. And J Kruse who brumates his animals, Both do a great job.

The point is, you asked how to deal with a certain situation. And I offered you solutions you can choose from. Good luck

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Sampson Co NC mole king - STRETCHx, Wed Jun 23 22:38:52 2010
<< Previous topic:  A couple ugly kings . . . . - JKruse, Wed Jun 23 00:23:35 2010