return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

mites?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: mikefedzen at Mon Jun 28 02:16:40 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mikefedzen ]  

I had a mite problem in the past, maybe 2 years ago? I switched rooms where the snakes were kept for a while, got new enclosures, new everything, covered everything with provent a mite and bam. Gone. Probably about 3 months ago I moved 3/4 of my collection into my basement, and kept some of the smaller snakes I'm power feeding upstairs. Before the snakes were moved into the basement the area they were being moved to was cleaned, and sprayed down with the last of my provent a mite.

A month ago ago I noticed little bugs on the containers downstairs that looked a lot like mites. Not too many of em, but I could see them here and there on some lids. I fed all the snakes a good bit that day, changed water bowls, turned the light off and left them alone for a week. And when I came back a week later every lid was covered in mites. So I ordered a couple more cans of provent a mite and bought all the rubbermaid containers I could find of the size I use.

When the provent a mite arrived every snake was washed off with water and a rag as much as they'd allow it, their enclosures were washed out, some snakes got new containers as enclosures, substrate was changed (aspen bedding from petco), they all got new water bowls, and all of which was sprayed with provent a mite. The area where the snakes were being kept once again got cleaned and sprayed as well. Later on that night all the snakes ate, and I left them alone again.

I don't know if they're mites or not but they're back, and if they are, someone needs to invent provent a proventable mite because these seem to have the regular stuff beat. I don't get what provent a mite does, if a week later theres tons of mites crawling on everything that was sprayed with the stuff? And I don't remember exactly what the mites looked like last time my collection had them I just got rid of them as quick as I could. These things are clustered up in hundreds of thousands on a couple of the lids... Like in the picture below, that's the lid on a 10 gallon aquarium in that snake room that houses a mexican milk snake. At the top left hand corner of the lid, that light colored area is a cluster of these things.

All the while, none of the snakes upstairs have any sign of any bugs, and none of the snakes went off feed or started acting funny.
What to do.
-----
Mike
KingPin Reptiles
www.kingpinreptiles.com

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: mites? - pyromaniac, Mon Jun 28 08:02:59 2010
>> Next Message:  RE: mites? - jeff schofield, Mon Jun 28 18:08:09 2010
>> Next Message:  This Mite Help you....lol - snake_bit, Mon Jun 28 19:20:09 2010