return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: True Story of Sabogae Imported to US

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: AdamBotond at Mon Aug 9 16:16:48 2010   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by AdamBotond ]  

Let me start with this. I'm fed up with people saying, "I'm the only one who has true sabogae, all the rest are fake, all the other breeders are swinders.". As you may know, these boas were very higly priced few years ago, and some "breeders" or "salers" certainly wanted to make sure the success of their business, discouraging people to buy from some else.

Maybe Chris Gilbert is the guy you are looking for. He is very well informed about Shipments of sabogae to US.

To the best of my knowledge, Rich Ihle was the first ever in the US to have sabogae in captivity. He represents his line as "Saboga Island" line. This is a documented bloodline with CITES.

Then some people in Germany also obtained some from the Costa Rican zoo stock, which represents "Taboga Island" line. This is also documented by CITES. Ancestors of these boas were hand caught on Taboga.

Finally, few years ago, soon after Panama had stopped its live animal export ban, some sabogae and lots of Panamanian mainland boas (Bci) hit to US. Altough these sabogae came in with legal CITES paperwork, their origin has never been proved, as CITES does not recognise subspecies (at least not from B category). On the CITES papers they all are "Boa constrictor" from "origin: Panama". No more info. These sabogae have very distinct look from mainland imperator and are absolutely identical with animals mentioned in original description of sabogae subspecies by Barbour and then Cochran. I think several well known US breeder got sabogae from those shipments, including Gus and Vin. I also imported a couple to Europe and last year I bred them succesfully.

Gus and Vin both have bred them several times and theirs offsprings have also confirmed: these are pure Boa c. sabogae. As by now we have seen several offsprings that are also identical with features of sabogae(as parents are), we have no reason to doubt they are pure.

As regards your question, buying from a reputable breeder is the best choice in my opinion.

All the best,
Adam

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Big Sharp het girl - tcdrover, Mon Aug 9 15:20:11 2010
<< Previous topic:  2nd Shed Sterling in Sunshine - maizeysdad, Mon Aug 9 09:19:20 2010