return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Neonate getula pinky mouse vomit

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: Zach_MexMilk at Tue Feb 14 15:10:40 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Zach_MexMilk ]  

I have been keeping kings/milks for 13 years and have not experienced a regurged/vomited meal until now. As some of you may have seen my earlier post, I recently acquired a captive hatch, locality L.getula californiae (12/2011 hatch). It was cooled for about 2 months and warmed up. Refused first meals of live, brained, and ft mice. On 2/9/2012, it consumed a baby Scelop. lizard eagerly and with vigor. Digested quickly with zero problems. I decided on 2/12/2012 to attempt a scented pink, using the "bait and switch method" of teasing the snake with a lizard and tricking it to eat a scented live pink. The snake grabbed the lizard off the tongs and began constricting. I ran some cool water under the faucet over the snake's head and it released. It eventually took the scented live pink. However, the snake took a considerable amount of time consuming the pink (30 minutes). The meal looked large, but barely left a belly buldge.

I returned the snake from its feeding tub to its enclosure--5 gallon screen top tank with cypress mulch substrate, cork bark hides, moist sphagnum hide, water bowl. UTH heats warm side of tank at 80-83F. Room is always around 58-65F (kept cool due to pyros and zonata). He attempted to enter a cork hide via a small crack which he normally can enter. But due to the meal, he got stuck. I was able to gently and quickly get him out and he burrowed under the substrate.

I thought nothing of the feeding ordeal (stress of making him release the lizard, meal maybe being a tad large, getting stuck, etc) and let him be for two days. I was doing his water and moss today and noticed an "off" smell. Dug around the snake nolonger had a buldge, but rather, I found a half vomited (pretty much mostly digested) pink. I cleaned out the soiled area of the substrate and inspected the snake, seeing no real problem--active, tounge flicking, "darty". Attemped to give him a dead lizard in which he refused (i figured he would).

What did I do wrong? Did I wait too soon to offer a scented pink? I was told to give him some soaks in water with diluted Pedialyte (to boost electrolytes, etc) and try feeding in a week or two. Am I just being overly concerned---I know snakes can sometimes regurge a meal, but this was half digested.

Any tips? I'm kinda freaking out because i love this little guy and have never, ever had this happen in my snake keeping career before.

Thanks
-Zach

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Now the getula is violently thrashing... - Zach_MexMilk, Tue Feb 14 21:49:58 2012
<< Previous topic:  A few I didn't cool down. - a153fish, Mon Feb 13 18:42:50 2012