return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Honduran vs Eastern King

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: captainjack0000 at Sun Apr 8 21:51:14 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by captainjack0000 ]  

It really isn't about bang for the buck.

I don't exactly know what I'm looking for, so for now I'm looking at everything. There was a really pretty tangerine hondo at the store today...and the store manager knows the local breeder. I guess a set of eggs are about to hatch at the end of the month or so. It was super cute.

But I really like the idea of a chain king--they're native to the area, which has certain appeal. But he doesn't know where the chains really come from....so there is a loss of appeal. He also said Geogia chain kings are threatened, and I would hate to add pressure to wild populations unknowingly.

The basic criteria are this:
We want a snake thar rarely exceeds 6 ft. We're aware of and willing to deal with exceptions if they occur.

I want it be longer than an average male corn snake, and those are usually no more than 42" (again exceptions can happen and neither of ours are near that length now, so who knows)

Smaller than a female ball python. Those usually are about 4.5 ft and much bigger around, but again ours isn't full grown yet, and exceptions happen.

We want something without strict care requirements. keeping the humidity up for our BP is enough work for now. That basically leaves for our region a male BP, a yellow rat, or one of the longer milks or kings. There might be something else I don't know about.

The yellow rats are wild caught and I'm not a fan of that really.
The male BP, well it would be another BP, with humidity issues.
So what are the longer milks and kings and what do those look like? Again, I come back to hondos or polyzona.

I mean, when they're awesome, they're awesome.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Honduran vs Eastern King - varanid, Sun Apr 8 23:54:35 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Honduran vs Eastern King - gerryg, Mon Apr 9 03:55:43 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Honduran vs Eastern King - gerryg, Sun Apr 8 17:02:08 2012