return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Father's Day! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: t-positive / extreme hypo discussion

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by: Burnsy at Sat Apr 28 01:13:12 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Burnsy ]  

Hi,

no, that is not correct. Since there is either T pos or the amel gene on the same chromsome, there are two possible types of T pos animals.

First is the one that has one T pos gene on one chromosome and the amel gene on the other. Since the T pos gene is dominant over the amel gene the phenotype is T pos. Breed thisone to a normal and you will get 50% of animals with the amel gene and the other 50% will be with the T pos gene.

The second possibility is that one animal carries on both chromosomes the T pos gene. Since the amel gene and the T pos gene are at the smae locus, there can be either the amel Gene or Tpos at that place on the chromosome. The animal is from what I have heard the same phenotype as the half T pos half amel animals.
Breed this animal to an amel and you will get 100% T pos animals as the result. This happened to a few breeders.
Breed this animal to a Wildtype het for nothing animal and you will get 100% het for T pos. The amel gene is no longer present.

But again, this are just my thoughts about how this works.
I do just have animals that still carry the amel gene. It will take me a few more days to prove this out.

Gerrit
Königsnattern - Lampropeltis

-----
http://www.lampropeltis.de.vu

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Smith's Milksnake - Mesosaur, Tue Apr 24 18:56:23 2012
<< Previous topic:  time to breed? - tommyduska, Tue Apr 24 07:44:11 2012