return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: love it

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: RossPadilla at Fri Jul 6 10:23:30 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RossPadilla ]  

I haven't bought many kings, but I can imagine its tough to get just what you are looking for. A lot of people that sell them don't know about Cal kings in the first place. Then there are those that will lie, knowing full well, the snake will brown out as it matures. Most black and whites are brown to a certain degree. Some more than others, and the white isn't always pure white, especially on the belly and lower sides. I guess the key is finding a good breeder for them, but I don't know any. You don't even see them here and this is a well known site. Its kind of strange. I guess you really do have to go to the shows to find out anything. And I've heard of people having the same problem with the reversed striped. A big problem with that, is it took the yellow (coastal) Newport phase to create that look in the first place. So, they had to selectively breed back to white Cal kings over and over. Even in nature, with kings with yellow, they are not born that bright yellow. It takes time to come in, so a snake that is going to have a slight yellow tint as an adult, will definitely not look yellow as a juvenile. Another big problem is guys wanting to breed there kings to whatever they have without caring if one is white and the other is yellow. You'll get babies that look pure white, but will get a little yellow as adults. Finding a breeder that is honest and really knows his stuff is key. I'm glad I'm in to wild caught. lol
-----

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: love it - DMong, Fri Jul 6 11:00:18 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: love it - KingDome, Fri Jul 6 09:56:35 2012