return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: The subject of bonding

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: VICtort at Fri Jul 6 13:45:09 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by VICtort ]  

FR,thank you for your patient explanation of the behaviors you and your co-researchers have made regarding "bonding". When possible, with large cages etc., it certainly makes for interesting captive interactions, and I have seen some skilled breeders allowing "colony" type breeding set ups, with single male and several females, they never miss a receptive female unlike some of us keepers. I am convinced it occurs in the wild, and probably in captivity if one provides an adequate set up to allow the behaviors to express themselves.

Ophiophagous species, like kingsnakes, and even more so, Drymarchon are somewhat of a risk given the results of non-bonded introductions which sometimes lead to agression, extremely so in Drymarchon. Thus it is high risk, and I wouldn't want to lose or create a trauma situation to a valued animal. I am open to trying it, knowing there is some risk...is it primarily done in captivity by just raising two neonates together? Or would I need to raise several together so they could choose associates? Some would say that "absence makes the heart grow fonder...", and thus they separate sexes during the nonbreeding time of year. Many have found that pairs kept together seemed reluctant to breed...and when separated and reintroduced, breeding behavior commenced. Thus different things work, but I am not arguing that what works with captives is the best or natural behavior...

Simply put: to try the pair/group bonding method, do I just raise neonates as a group, observe carefully and they will choose associates? Do they sometimes choose siblings? What must I do to encourage bonding and reduce the risk of agression, which may be savage and quick and serious in Drymarchon. Or are these decidedly powerful and known ophiophagous snakes a poor candidate for it? Others have argued the risk is too great for the benefit, but I know you have long walked the road less traveled and made break throughs because of it.

Gratefully, Vic

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: The subject of bonding - Bluerosy, Fri Jul 6 14:17:27 2012 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: The subject of bonding - FR, Fri Jul 6 18:36:49 2012

<< Previous Message:  The subject of bonding - FR, Thu Jul 5 18:00:37 2012 image in post