return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: The subject of bonding

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: FR at Sat Jul 7 16:47:22 2012   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Hi Joe, I think you have a misconception, its about duplicating nature.

What our task is, is to duplicate what the animals do in nature. Not nature itself in total. Those is are different things.

What I do question is this. Both BR and I and others, have kept kings in pairs and groups for decades and generations, feeding in the same cage etc. Your task is to explain how. In reality, its not our task, as you and others are the ones questioning this.

If you say they cannot or don't do that, then how did that come about?

We have both told you how that type behaior is supported. And that is best done by raising hatchlings together. But like with anything, you must support that. Which means, you should not go weeks or months not feeding particularly when its warm out. With a single animal in a cage, you can go as long as you want, not so with groups.

You must also understand a bit about behavior. That is, not everysnake pics wants to bond with the snake you put in there.

This is why we use the word "choices" that is to offer the animal choices. With many things.

If you look at similar animals, both above and below snakes in the chain of evolution. They do all manner of mate selection rituals. And so do snakes, that is known.

Just the fact that kingsnakes practice ritualized combat tells you they are group animals. If not it would not be ritualize, one would simply kill the other. I am curious as to what you think of that. Why doesn't the dominate male just kill the subordinate. Anyway, keep asking questions. Cheers

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: The subject of bonding - joecop, Thu Jul 5 22:17:43 2012