return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Mangrove Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Barbour’s Map Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Hiding

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: FR at Sun Mar 2 07:31:15 2014   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

First off, why are you worrying. Kingsnakes are strong, durable, and basically nice snakes to keep and handle.

What you have to understand is, its an animal. It learns and it teaches. I agree with Bluerosy, chasing it with a hook is not a good thing. I do not think you would like something poking you with a stick.

Once it learns your not going to hurt it, it will be fine. Then you can form a relationship with the animal where it will come to you. The first skill you need to learn is fear, stop being afraid. Fear indeed scares animals. They do not have the brain you and I have, but they can indeed sense simple things like fear and that is very unstable. They simply do not want to be hurt. They want to be secure, just like you. So use your hands, be calm and strait forward.

If your interested in how to become "friends" with your animal, then ask more questions pertaining to this. This is a skill just like any other skill. Some folks have it naturally, others do not. In both cases, it can be learned and improved and of benefit to the animal. I this was in person, I could teach you to hold a snake in a way, it feels secure and that results in less fear for both of you. Best wishes

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Hiding - amandalizz, Sat Mar 1 16:51:53 2014