return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Tegu . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Mangrove Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Barbour’s Map Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Chameleon . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Skink . . . . . . . . . .  The Kingsnakes of Florida . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Mother's Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  The Ground Skink, Scincella lateralis . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Chameleon . . . . . . . . . .  Asian Giant Pond Turtle, Heosemys grandis . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Female cal king trying to eat male...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: Bluerosy at Wed Mar 19 00:49:21 2014   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Bluerosy ]  

Mike,

First of I am not jumping onto you, but rather sharing information with others as some people just don't get it about what bonding is or hwo to do it.

When we refer to bonding it has to start at a very early age of the kingsnake.

You just can't throw two old unreleted kings together and leave them together and say they are bonded. That is not how the bonding process works!

The way I do it with Florida kings is I wait until they are feeding on hoppers and then put them together during winter.

They stay together for life. I have groups I keep of 3 in larger cages and I feed them FT chicks and they usually bite onto each other.. but I learned a long time ago as I sat and watched what happened instead of intervening.. they let go and then go after the food.

So it is common for bonded snakes to latch on to each other by mistake.. but they do let go every single time . All my pairs and trios do this during feeding anyway. Somebody else might freak out if they saw that. I don't bother to watch or look back..(I got way to many set up in bonded groups to keep an eye on them anyway) I just leave the room. No worries.

You can't do tis with snakes that were not bonded properly.. this is where the MISinformation comes in .. As one poster mentioned above mistakenly . Bonding does not happen as an illusion because we feed the snakes so much, LOL!.. BONDING is a process and cannot use just any two large adults that are unknown to each other to start bonding by throwing them together , no matter how long they are together.. that is not what bonding is.

The process has been posted before many times. But people tend to not look at what is involved with proper bonding and as such their eyes glass over and then they spread a lot of misinformation.. which is being passed on and from people who have never tried the process or bothered to even understand or look at it closer.

-----
"I guess newbies cannot understand, those who build the foundation, are not the ones with great opportunity. Those who buy the latest generations, have the greatest opportunity to create new morphs. "

Frank Retes

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Female cal king trying to eat male... - mikefedzen, Thu Mar 20 03:19:10 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: Female cal king trying to eat male... - mikefedzen, Wed Mar 19 00:22:55 2014