return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Blood Python . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Female cal king trying to eat male...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: Bluerosy at Thu Mar 20 10:51:18 2014   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Bluerosy ]  

If you read some of FR's posts he explains it real well.

Here is a recent post of FR's that explains it way better than I ever could:

I raise them from hatchlings in groups. The younger the better.

Like Bluerosy, I have done and tried and seen lots. I also tested this stuff. Something I did test as I produced literally thousands of cal kings(I pioneered the albino, high whites/high yellows etc)

I would raise clutches together and all was fine, no problems. But if you took one from another clutch and put it in the cage. They would attempt to eat it. I tested it many many times. What was interesting is, the new animal to a group, never attempted to eat the residents. It was always the residents attempting to eat the new comer. This was HARD FACTS

Its easy to see that this cannibalism is not about food, its about territory and group mates. Once they were adults this changed. I kept these litters as breeding groups and they did not like to be separated. ALso if you took a female from one cage and put it in with females of another cage, the females would combat the newcomer.

So yes, there is a lot to this. But its not math. Its behavior, as such, there are always exceptions. Such as outcasts etc, that is common with all social animals. If you think about it, social means to include others. It also means to exclude others. Simply put, herp societies do not invite Geologist.

The problem is people make everything so complicated. ITs simple, each group is US. anything not us, is them. Them is not us. Therefore they are fair game to eat. how do snakes know who US is? they bond with eachothers pheromones(scent) upon hatching/birth. Much like, oh everything else(birds and mammals, etc) Its not complicated or odd, all similar animals do it.

Another oddity, snakes have scent glands, hmmmmmmmmmm

-----
"I guess newbies cannot understand, those who build the foundation, are not the ones with great opportunity. Those who buy the latest generations, have the greatest opportunity to create new morphs. "

Frank Retes

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Female cal king trying to eat male... - rtdunham, Mon Apr 21 14:10:51 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: Female cal king trying to eat male... - mikefedzen, Thu Mar 20 03:19:10 2014