return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Female cal king trying to eat male...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by: Bluerosy at Tue Mar 18 22:46:49 2014   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Bluerosy ]  

That theory always is preceded with advice of feeding the animals as much as they will eat. In doing so, stuffing the animals with food may create the illusion that there is bonding going on, when in reality, they are just full and not acting upon their instinct to cannibalize

Absolutely wrong.

It is amazing to me after all these years and info shared here about snakes bonding that you can still twist the results.

First off the whole feeding them as much as they will eat is and has nothing to do with bonding. I have often said we should let breeders(especially females) to eat as much as they want to produce follicles and be successful in producing more than one clutch per year. I often get 3 clutches.

I have been doing the bonding thing for over decades with Florida kings and not one case of cannibalism. Had one snake try to eat itself,LOL! But that was rare.

-----
"I guess newbies cannot understand, those who build the foundation, are not the ones with great opportunity. Those who buy the latest generations, have the greatest opportunity to create new morphs. "

Frank Retes

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  continued - Bluerosy, Tue Mar 18 22:47:39 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: Female cal king trying to eat male... - DISCERN, Tue Mar 18 20:45:54 2014