return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Hog temps and RH

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Austin12 at Tue Aug 6 11:34:44 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Austin12 ]  

I may be new to Hog's (aka Pig's in Chinese) but I've kept snakes for over 7 years in the past, evolution hasn't evolved enough to change the fact that if the heat and humidity is too high you will cook your snake! Yes it's going to be different for a snake in the ground vs snakes kept in cages of some sort. I don't know anyone that keep snakes in the ground so I'm trying to help a fellow Pig man that is keeping his in a high heat and high humidity conditions in a box! Without making him feel stupid! I don't see anyone else jumping in here to help him out...and I know others are reading this thread.

RH can be explained as the "closeness the air is the saturation". When the RH is less than 40%, it feels dry outside, and when the RH is greater than 80% it feels moist outside (dewpoint will determine if it is uncomfortably moist or just regularly moist). Between 40 and 80% RH is comfortable if the temperature is also comfortable.

The worst combination for human comfort is a high dewpoint (65 F or above) combined with a high RH. If the dewpoint is above 65, it will generally always feel uncomfortably humid outside. Obviously, the temperature could climb to over 100 and result in a low RH, but the quantity of moisture in the air is still high and will be noticed.

The optimum combination for human comfort is a dewpoint of about 60 F and a RH of between 50 and 70% (this would put the temperature at about 75 F). The air feels dry outside when BOTH the dewpoint is below 60 F AND the RH is less than 40%.

continued next page....

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Hog temps and RH - Austin12, Tue Aug 6 11:36:01 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: Hog temps and RH - FR, Tue Aug 6 12:41:09 2013

<< Previous Message:  RE: Wheres Gregg???? Help is needed sir - FR, Tue Aug 6 10:29:45 2013