return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: question on water

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: hedder062474 at Fri Jun 15 11:38:56 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by hedder062474 ]  

Thank you for answering my post I really appreciate it a lot! You are always the first person to take time out to answer questions and I personally want to Thank You for that!!

I don't have a lot of gravel in the tank. There isn't any under the false bottom except where some might have fallen do to me trying to fill in a little gap between the land part and the pool... but it didn't work to well. I might have to fix that with some great stuff or seal it off with egg create and some silicone, I am a little afraid of frogs getting stuck undr the fasle bottom and not being able to find there way back out.The gravel sits in the the pool and is a thin layer I can see the bottom glass in some of it. Should I add some kind of filter to my water area? I didn't do that because I was afraid that it would constantly clog up from the dirt that falls in the bottom from the top.... it isn't a lot but I think it is enough to clog a filter up. Where should I add the bubble wand? Should I add it to the section under the egg crate or put it in the pool area? Do the wands clog up? I guess I could add more stones and water to the pool area.....but I will have to find a way to make the false bottom sit higher in the tank. I guess I could cut out the old pvc and just put in longer pieces to accomplish this. What do you think?

I guess I won't worry about the color of the water then if it is a good thing . When I move we will be on a well system. It has been tested for drinking and is fine as far as I know. IT comes out of the faucet so cold that it will turn your hands to ice no joke! If I decided to switch when I move from distilled to well water how would I test the water to make sure it wouldn't hurt the frogs?

I am hoping that once we move the heat wont be such a problem. We are going to be up on the mountain on a ten acre farm. When I was up there this past weekend it was cool and not very hot. There is always a breeze coming through. It gets hot durning the day but is really cool at night and in the morning. I have seen the product you are talking about and if I have to I will pick one of those up and see what happens. Would adding ice to the resivor for the misting system be a good idea? The only thing I am wondering is if that would be enough to keep the tank cool. I was also thinking about cutting a section of glass out of the side of the tank and placing one of those computer fans in the hole and run that on and off on different cycles. But I am not sure if that would be a good idea or not. The lights are compact flourecents and don't put off that much heat. Thank you very much!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Grouping & Mixing Species Question - frogger, Mon Jun 18 00:03:22 2007
<< Previous topic:  moss help - shinyscales, Wed Jun 13 20:26:05 2007