return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: A few good choices for first hot?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Deathstalker at Fri Mar 25 00:13:06 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Deathstalker ]  

Steven,

Surely, I'd love to direct You to some sources! The two I used to go through: Exotic Aquatic Reptile (run by Jeff Kowalsky, from MI or MN - one of the northern "M" states) and Nature Coast Exotics (Florida) aren't around anymore, but I've been eyeing http://tailsnmore.com/ which happens to have three ads up on the first page of "Live & Frozen Feeder Classified" on Kingsnake.com for:

Green Tree Frogs: $2.75/each down to $2.00/each depending on the lot You order
Brown Anoles & House Geckos: $2.25/ea. down to (DT) $1.40/ea. depending on the lot (DOTL) again

Also, there is http://www.diamondreptile.com/, which have:

Brown Anoles: $3/ea. DT $2/ea. DOTL
Green Anoles: $4/ea. DT $3/ea. DOTL (stick with Browns)
Squirrel Tree Frogs: $2.50/ea DT $2/ea DOTL
Green Tree Frogs: $3/ea. (stick with the Squirrels)

Initially 10 years ago, I used to go through http://gherp.com/ but they've raised prices slightly. It's always a good backup source, and their prices will probably drop a little as weather becomes warmer, and quantities more plentiful (but they have unlimited Brown Anoles (indicated by asterisk ( * ) for $2/ea.).

Oh, and if You sign up to Bushmaster Reptiles' weekly email list: http://www.kingsnake.com/bushmaster/weekly.html, You'll see they often have 100-lot House Geckos for...I think $0.70/ea.!! However, it's wholesale, and they require a $400 minimum order...just find a new pet or two You'd like. They're pretty reputable, going around the world themselves occasionally and cherry-picking stuff.

Well, that should get You started, and I'd give Tails 'n More a try first. It's definitely better than $6-$7/anole from Petco, eh?!

FYI, it's not so much a secret anymore that some people have become skeptical in recent years to WC feeder herps, especially when 'excessively cheap.' This is *supposedly* because they come from pesticide- and/or fertilized-treated properties where they are somehow plentiful...?! I don't know, I never had an issue with the cheapest feeders.

Timothy

>>If you can direct me to your source i would be grateful. I live in a small town so I often do have to go to petco (2 towns over) and can't find any thing better local or mail order (by the time shipping is added). In the warm months i can catch feeders but the cool months are tough. I know people say to not use wc feeders but if i buy them they are just wc by someone else.

-----
T.J. Gould

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Hatch Rite Incubation Medium? - cobrafan, Thu Mar 17 10:58:16 2011
<< Previous topic:  Q & A Lanchead vipers - Mjjordan1, Mon Mar 7 16:20:50 2011